The inaugural Wombat Books Illustration Challenge is now on!
We're seeking original illustrations from Australian school-aged students to publish in a unique picture book by well-known children's author Aleesah Darlison.
The Challenge has been established in order to provide aspiring young illustrators with the opportunity to be published in a professionally produced children's book and gain an introduction into the world of illustrating.
Winning illustrations will be published in the book titled Yay! It's Library Day which is due for release in 2018. Illustrators will receive two free copies of the book and a $50 voucher to spend at Wombat Books on other titles. They will be acknowledged on the Wombat Books website as a rising illustrator and there may be opportunities for them to illustrate work in the future.
One illustrator will also be given the exclusive opportunity to design the cover for the book and will win a cash prize of $200.
Note: other illustrators will not receive payment or a cash award.
Selected entries will be posted on the Wombat Books blog for public voting. The illustrations that have the most votes from the public will be shortlisted and provided to the judging panel to decide the finalists. The judging panel is made up of experts from the education and publishing sectors.
Illustrations can be in any format (digital, paint, drawing etc) and should demonstrate the entrant's ability to not only create quality illustrations but also be relevant to the flow of the story.
Schools are encouraged to support students in this competition and enter submissions together where appropriate. Schools will be provided with flyers and posters for display and distribution to parents and children.
About the Book: Yay! It's Library Day
An adventure through the library by Aleesah Darlison.
Yay! It’s Library Day is a fun rhyming story about two children, Oliver and Ivy, who love visiting the library with their dad.
With stories and their imaginations guiding them, the children go on grand ocean adventures, visit fairytale lands, watch elephants dancing in tuxedos and fly across the sapphire sky on a magic carpet.
Discover the joy and wonder of books with Oliver and Ivy in Yay! It’s Library Day.
Challenge opens 1 July 2016 Entries close 28 February 2017
- Entry to the challenge is free, however it is recommended that entrants familiarize themselves with other works from the author in order to get an idea of the final product.
- Entrants can submit for one or more spreads (pages) but only once per page spread.
- Entrants must be aged between 8 – 17 years
- Children must have parental permission to be considered for the challenge. Parents must sign the Entry Form in order for the submission to be displayed in shortlisting. If your work is chosen for shortlisting you will be sent the agreement letter.
- All entries must be the child's own work and not a reproduction of previous works.
- Entries are made online using our submission form.
- Each page spread is provided below as a download with and without the text in the correct size and dimensions.
- Artists must use these page spreads to understand where the ball will be placed and where the text will be placed to create their artwork to the same size.
- The dimensions of the page are 210mm square, which means a double spread will be 420mm wide by 210mm high.
- The winner of the cover design will be given alternative specifications at the time of agreement.
- Download the instructions here.
- Colour copies of the original artwork only should be entered. Original files should be held by the illustrator. These files will be required to be sent only if the illustrator is shortlisted.
- Each individual illustration must be submitted online using our form. You need to have your scan and your entry form ready together to upload.
- Entries must be submitted by 28 February 2017.
- JPEG images need to be scanned at a resolution of 600 and uploaded with your details by 28 February 2017.
We recommend you read the full story here first before you start thinking about your illustrations.
After reading the text choose which page spread you would like to attempt. Students are permitted to try any page spread they choose.
Fill in the form and then when you enter you need to upload your signed entry form and illustration together. When you are ready to enter click here.
For all enquiries contact:
Phone: 07 3245 1938